Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Not giving up on giving up

My half hearted new year's resolution was to stop apologizing for not being French. Well, it seems this is working, I no longer care one monkeys what people think of me when I make a mistake in French etc etc but it has also had a side effect of that I want to move.

I have decided that I can no longer continue teaching the children. In fact, if I could, I would quit today. I hate it. Nothing has drained me more, physically or emotionally. I'm a shell of my former self and I know things have to change.

The problem is always the same though, what is a Native English speaker actually qualified to do in France other than teach English? It seems practically nothing. Well, certainly not working in a pet shop, that's for sure. Long story.

I think it would be a very good idea to move cities and to start a fresh. Also, easier said than done considering I have no idea what I am good for other than teaching, and I don't want to do that. I prefer teaching at the uni although it's really tough going, but I'm not prepared to be a replacement teacher forever because it's practically impossible to get a real, permanent contract.

Answers on a postcard please.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I spent Tuesday evening enamelling, and now have an impressive collection of bizarre pendants. Let's both up sticks and buy a cottage in the south of France where we can set up an ethno-bongo jewellary production line xx

Le Tigre said...

Hi there, just found your blog. I feel your pain! Teaching children is the worst. I don't know if I can make it until the end of June. But I guess I have no choice.

Good luck to us!

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...