Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Happy anniversary to me, and only me

Ju and I have been together 2 years today and what best way to celebrate this, than ....alone. Ju is away in Lyon with work and won't be back until Thursday. We agreed not to 'celebrate' it as such as we're moving soon and could use the money for something else like uum, a towel rail. How romantic. But still, I would have liked to actually see him today. To make up for things, I'm planning on opening a bottle of rosé, making some popcorn and watching dirty dancing / love actually. maybe both. Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed with Julien, nor sad in anyway....maybe I'm just using this as an excuse to drink, eat badly and waste time on a chick flic!

I can't honestly believe it's been 2 years. Boy, it's been, and continues to be, a rollercoaster of an adventure. Julien and our relationship is stable, but everything else dips and climbs around me. Thank god for naivity, for without it, I would never have made the leap of faith and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

Would I have really moved here if I had realised that finding work is as hard as it really is?

Would I have moved here if I had realised how hard French was to grasp and how the more you learn, the more you realise you can't speak a word?!

What about the French? Understanding them is also a work of art. I find them much more myserious and closed than us Brits. Just a thought; if people all over the world were just a tiny bit nicer to people that don't come from their countries, there would be a lot more smiles in the world. Believe me. I've had that 'look' a thousand times too many. That look that says 'I'm scared/confused/horrified/worried/ashamed that I can't understand you because you are not French' followed by 'Can you repeat what you have just said? I don't understand.' Or more commonly 'hein? (pronounced 'eh'?) where I live. It's frustrating.

Yes, the rollercoaster continues but I'm learning to control it, ride it better. 2 years ago, I would have never imagined my life as it is here today. So, I can't start to imagine where I'll be in another 2... watch this space.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Hon, you took the words right out of my mouth - I was so naïve when I moved here! But that's probably a good thing cuz had I known how hard it was, I never would've gotten on that plane!! *S*

Le Tigre said...

Happy Anniversary, sorry you guys couldn't be together, you'll just have to plan to do something extra special for next year? Or maybe plan a surprise belated something (the grand unveiling of the towel rack?).

There are times when being a foreigner is good. Like when telemarketers ring. They hang up on me as soon as I say I don't speak french or even sometimes if I just answer the phone with 'hello' instead of 'allo' or 'oui?'.

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...