Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Poll results and starting a fresh for 2008 - 2009 season

Thanks for voting in my poll. I was really interested to see what other ex pats do in France and here are the result:

Teach English
9 (39%)
Work in tourism/hotels/caf├ęs
1 (4%)
Translator
1 (4%)
Artist of any sort
0 (0%)
Scientist/Engineer
1 (4%)
Teacher (not of the type Ingleesh)
2 (8%)
Work with Animals
0 (0%)
In the city (bank, lawyer etc etc)
2 (8%)
Don't work, can't find a job
0 (0%)
Don't work out of choice
1 (4%)
Other
1 (4%)
I don't live in France/Not an ex-pat
5 (21%)

Votes: 23


So, like I predicted, there are a fair few of us who teach English. It's obvious that it is a talent of ours, speaking English I mean, but I wonder how many of us actually planned to become an English teacher. I'm betting not many. I certainly didn't. It was something thrown at me when I moved to France. Don't get me wrong, it has its upsides, like the frequent and extended holidays allowing me to visit my family on a regular basis. I am so grateful for that, but teaching English wasn't on my list of 'things to do' when I was growing up.

Je fais avec for the moment. I start my new job as a lectrice at a university next week which involves holding conversation classes, teaching phonetics and creating and marking exams of English students. I've been so long on holiday for the summer (10 weeks ahem) that I'm a little worried about going back getting into the rhythm again. Now it's quickly slipping out of the grasp, I want to stay on holiday for longer.....ha.

I have also signed up to teach children a few hours a week. I know I know. I said I hated teaching primary school children, that it was exhausting and I got no reward from it, but here I am again. I'm hoping it will be a bit different. These classes are payant. I can't imagine parents would pay for lessons if their children weren't interested. I will let you know on that though soon. I always say that being able to get work experience in France is difficult so I couldn't pass up on this opportunity. You never know where it might lead me.....

4 comments:

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Ha! I think the 'other' in the poll was me!! I work in an office, for a company to do with cars, nothing whatsoever to do with my uni degree. I've only been there 4 months but it gets me down working 8am to 6pm at a job I have no interest in.

It's funny because right now I dream of being an English teacher here in France. I really want to teach, I always wanted to be a teacher (admittedly it wasn't an english teacher but rather a primary school teacher) and now I spend my days in the office dreaming of when my damned contract will end so I can find a job that I am a little more passionate about!

I bet you never thought you'd hear of a British expat in France who actyally envied all the other English teachers out there, hehe!

Emmy said...

Hi Princesse
That IS strange! ;o) I've dipped into your blog from time to time so I know you're in Parree. I'm sure it would be quite easy for you to find a teaching job. How long hae you got until contract freedom?

Leah said...

Courage, ma fille!

I voted as one of the many English teachers in France. I never planned on teaching English specifically, but I've always liked teaching. Even as a kid, I found myself "teaching" other kids when they didn't understand things. I also like that what I'm doing means something to the world and I happen to like teaching little kiddies. I also think teaching has improved my character in many ways.

Teaching and social work are two careers that run in my family, so I'm also not surprised. Like I said, I never dreamed of being an ENGLISH teacher, moreso French and/or Spanish, but life has led me to France, so this is what I'll do for now. That being said, I don't think I would ever want to teach English in the US, my plan is to teach French to primary school kids. On verra!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

hey emma, sorry for the long delay in replying! I'm finishing up at the office in December (and I cannot wait!!!) I have no idea how I could go about getting into teaching, but the other day I did put up a wee notice on Vivastreet advertising individual cours d'anglais, but so far...nada. Boo!

Did you train to be a teacher? How did you get into it? Do you have any advice for someone who has no background with teaching? Sorry for all the questions!!!

Courage!

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...