Friday, 10 April 2009

When will I...?

When will I be more content with my life here in France? I'm asking myself this quite a bit at the moment and I'm scared of the possible answers.


I REALLY want to make a go of things here but the thing is, I've been saying this for YEARS. Nothing much has changed in all that time.


Yesterday my frenchie left the house at 7am and got home at 10:30pm. As I'm at home all day at the moment because of the continuing blockade at the uni, believe me, yesterday dragged. Yes, I did my usual paperwork chase (current projects - get degree validated in France to help find a job and bilan de comp├ętances, the ultimate paperchase) but still it was horrible in the evening. 


Today he technically finishes at 12noon what with the 35hour working week but he's yet to come home at 16h50. I would joke that maybe he's cheating on me but it's not that. He's working loads and loads and this just reminds me how little I'm doing and how hard it is to do ANYTHING.


I'm terrified that when I get my degree validated, it'll come back that it's not even recognised in France ie, I don't have a higher education. If that happens, I honestly think it'll be the last straw.


As for the bilan de comp├ętances, I have luckily found a great lady at the MEF in Amiens that is fighting my corner. She spent 40 mins on the phone yesterday to the Rectorat/chamber of commerce in order to get some info on if I have the right to get the bilan paid for me by the government. In theory 'yes' as my employer, but we all know the public service has other ideas. She was passed to 5 or 6 different departments and buildings, each time repeating herself like a parrot. In the end she gave up. No one was capable of helping her, she kept being questioned on my motives and in the end she just said to me blankly 'I now understand why you are so unhopeful and sad'. Yes indeedy. She got the raw end of the admin nightmare I live daily.


She assured me that this behaviour wasn't normal (ha, if only she knew) and that she was going to do all she could to help me. She gave me a list of things to read up on about or go and ask about and we have another meeting in a week. I've tracked down the person who deals with bilans at the university (result, not shorter than miraculous) but she hasn't replied to my email or the message I left with her colleague. There's a surprise.
 

I'm not hopeful that I'll get the blessed bilan, but at least I found a human being that is nice and French at that. Shame she's only doing her job. Something that I rarely come across here all the same.

1 comment:

Frankofile said...

Hmm. Maybe you could get creative and develop some kind of second-string part-time career? You have the time at the moment.Do something you enjoy and gradually build it up?

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...