Monday, 11 May 2009

I finally got my French test results back

I had a TCF test on the 27th March and finally got the results today.

Compréhension orale - 510
Structure de la langue - 547
Compréhension écrite - 490

Résultat global - 510 which is a C1 on the European Language level scale.

I am so happy with the results!!! I came away from the test convinced I'd totally failed the grammar bit - I honestly felt like I took educated guesses at most of it so you can imagine how I felt when I saw that I got the best grade in the grammar! The world works in mysterous ways.

Please note I have no idea how they work out the average as it obviously isn't a straight average of the 3 grades. Please also note that they told me the results would be with me within three weeks - 3 weeks stretched to 6 1/2 weeks. Vive l'admin.

It just goes to show you that you can get by in, hell, be good at a language without having a formal education in it. I've done it the hard way. I've learnt all my French in France and finally maybe I can start to have a bit of confidence in my language skills. I feel very proud of myself today. I know my French is far from perfect, but almost 4 years on from the day where I had to look up 'curtain' and 'knife, fork' and 'litter bin' in the dictionary in order to communicate crudely with the school where I was housed as an assistant, I can now easily watch the TV on any subject, read trash magazines, read novels and dam it, argue with fonctionnaires in French.

For those of you who are newer in France, it is possible. Hang in there.





4 comments:

Andromeda said...

Congrats! I got similar results back in January and you should know I've been studying French for a very long time. So a big félicitations for all your progress in such a relatively short time, it's a wonderful feeling to have proof of your own excellence :-)

Crystal said...

good job! I'm so proud of you too! I'm sure your grammar is better than a lot of frenchies out there!

So now when you apply for jobs, you can shove the results in their face and be like "see? I CAN speak french, dammit!"

Ksam said...

Congratulations! Looks like all of your hard work paid off!

au soleil levant said...

Awesome! Congrats! Can't believe you have accomplished so much in such a short amount of time.

Hmmm, wonder how well I'd do...

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...