Wednesday, 14 October 2009

PSBs - Personal space bubbles

I was once queueing with my best friend Rachie to go up the Eiffel Tower and I exclaimed that my bubble in which I don't like people to enter had well and truly popped. We were squashed in the queue and as I remember, a short dude (shorter than me!) behind me might as well have been sharing my own trouser legs - he was that close. Rachel laughed loads at the time and I have had problems with this ever since.

Everyone has a different shape bubble that they choose to claim as their own personal space. That day at the Eifffel Tower I decided mine was very large behind me, smaller at the sides, and larger again at the front. Confused?

What I'm trying to say is that I get very uncomfortable when people enter into this space that I choose to claim but it's obvious that some people have large bubbles, like me, others are walking around in shrink wrap. You know what I mean?

I'm talking about this as someone who has entered my life recently is a shrink wrap type and frankly, the more time I spend with this person, the more my bubble expands. Unfortunately, each time I step away from Shrink Wrap, they move closer and the other day I had to hide in another room briefly to regain my composure - I was on the brink of shouting, or crying., or both.

Do you have any coping mechanisms I should be aware of, or am I alone in this PSB problem? Although quite funny, it's becoming quite an issue!! Please share your own PSB experiences too.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

as long as Shrink Wrap isn't Ju, you should be ok :p ... unless you plan on having a rather awkward conversation with said Shrink Wrap, you'll just have to endure. I, for one, have had to pop any sort of PSB since moving to Paris because the public transport will simply not allow for having a no-touch, personal zone.

Andromeda said...

My old roommate was a stuff-toucher. I didn't realize I had an issue with people touching my stuff until she starting doing it allll the time. So my bubble is so big it inclues all my possesions, lol.

I would like to think that if you made metion that you are feeling feverish/H1N1-ish perhaps this person would back off a bit? Give it a try! Big hacking cough and sniffling.

This trick should also get you out of doing the bise for a while too, which I am starting to hate again because there's been lots of parties lately and it's so annoying to kiss fifteen people before I can leave, argh!

Rachel said...

Ah, this post makes me look so good :) But it was very funny.

Definitely agree with the swine flu approach. Its working wonders over here for avoiding touchy-feeley colleagues

x

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...