Wednesday, 18 November 2009

As I was saying....

... In my last post yesterday about how I've given up on my nationality and having loads of things to write about but not being able to......Yesterday I had a typical example of how I am received in the shop that I just had to share. At one point yesterday I was asked to explain the finer details of custard to a woman (yes, my life is stimulating) and after doing so, she turned to my boss and said, and I quote 'c'est une anglaise?' He just did his usual (unfunny, and not necessary) thing of 'no, she's Welsh' but I mean.....come on? What was more insulting? The fact that she turned and asked my boss if I was English, or that fact that she used 'c'est' (it) rather than 'she' or even that I didn't actually get angry until I thought about it. It's happened before (I may or may not have blogged about it about it happening in a lav-matic a few years ago) but seriously, I just helped this woman, and I was standing right in front of her. I can accept 'oooh, you're English, where abouts?' and I've even known to crack a smile for 'oh, it's not only the products that have been exported' but just don't insult my intelligence by asking my boss if I'm English when I've just helped you choose your Baked Beans. OK?

2 comments:

Rach said...

agree that asking your boss if ridiculous, however don't let the c'est get to you as its one of the idiosyncrasies of french grammar whereby she could have said "elle est anglaise?" or "c'est une anglaise?" and they'd both mean in english "is she english?" with no gender-neutrality implied. they have a problem with "elle est une anglaise?" is all xx

Amber said...

Ooh I would have gotten angry about that!

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...