Monday, 7 December 2009

this fonctionnaire made me laugh today, but the dream is dead

As I am sitting in front of a concours issued secretary at a university today I couldn't help but be blinded by the ironic string of words that were leaving her mouth.

I went there for some more information on a course that I'm interested in doing next year. My careers mentor at the ME of F asked me to get some more information on the course in order to determine what type of jobs graduates do, how many of them find jobs afterwards etc. Kinda important stuff right?! Well, it seems that these questions really cheesed this fonctionnaire off. She said that it wasn't information to be given out and she said that it was the first time anyone had asked, and totally didn't see the importance of why I was asking. I gritted teeth and explained that it was my career mentor that advised me to find out this information in order to create my project, but no, she still thought I was rude and even seemed peeved that I'd mentioned this career mentor.


I knew it was time to leave when she accused me of just wanting to be told what course to take, that she couldn't tell me what I should do, that it was for me to construct my dream and that they were just the people to enable me to follow said dream. Haha? Dream? So, you being a fonctionnaire, who had to sit a concours in order to be then 'placed' in a department of probably not even your choice, you have the right to talk to me about following your dreams? My cul.

I left saying that I might sign up for the course once I'd defined my 'dream' and forced a bonne journée. I know I shouldn't be angry or upset about this hollow woman, but I can't help it. She really annoyed me. How dare she talk to me about dream jobs when the country where I find myself doesn't recognise my degree and won't allow me to sign up to a course that needs (the French) high school diploma despite already having a bachelors? I'm just trying to save time by asking what type of jobs I would be able to do with certain diplomas under my belt. There is no way I am going to do another degree or diploma if the final outcome is unknown. I don't think that is stupid or rude to ask.

Unfortunately, if I do decide to do this degree, I'll have to go through her in order to get signed up and something tells me her concours certificate will make my route there less than smooth.

Are you doing your dream job or did you settle for something else now you are in France? I would be interested to find out!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I always thought I wanted to be a uni professor, but it definitely doesn't fit the dream i'd defined in my head. I'm quite happy at the company I teach at though.

The thing about fonctionnaires is that 95% of them are idiots who know nothing about anything. I remember having to go to ANPE a few years ago and having the woman tell me that I don't have the right to teach at all in France because I didn't sit the CAPES.
... because in her mind, the only kind of teacher I would ever want to be would be the public school kind, you know, the kind that isn't actually profitable at all.
I actually pity them, their simple lives, their closed minds.

Crystal said...

wow...what a pétasse that woman! Do all the grumpy fonctionnaires live i A-Town or what?? And why was she not able to tell you what jobs you could do after with that course? It's not like it's classified info or something. Just sounded like she wanted to be difficult and all uppity on her low-paying civil servant ass.

Hang in there my belle. You know I'm not living the dream either :S

L said...

Yeah, um, she didn't know what she was talking about because I believe their required to report statistics to http://www.ove-national.education.fr/

Try the Service Orientation, usually with an acronym like SUIO. They're the ones that have the stats, not the individual programs, although the lady had to be pretty dumb to not know that there's a department of the university that takes care of that.

Andromeda said...

I was going to say like L that those statistics are usually somewhere online, though for mine it's kind of depressing because it's like 90% are doing CDDs totally unrelated to the course, lol. Don't let this one lady keep you from doing the course if that's what you really want. I had to sit there and cry about being deported so they would move their butts and do their job right. So like everything else, it'll be a fight but one that's totally worth it if it'll make you happy :-)

Reb said...

when in rome...you have to bitch and moan to get what you know is possible in this country.when you're nice they just think you're stupid.

as for the dream job,i think amber's doing mine. I settled for a good secure pretty cushy job after a few years of being taken advantage of by a large language school. it just took the fight out of me and since i couldn't take the capes despite a maitrise from a french uni, i gave up. but my only complaint about the job I have had for 6 years is that i have no passion. which i suppose is sad.

Zhu said...

Been there, done that!

I'm the opposite: I'm French (and now Canadian) and I occasionally fight similar bureaucrats.

My French degrees aren't recognized in Canada either... I started studying again and I had to start from Bac year 1. Arg. Oh, and they actually made me take French as a second language (I live in the English part of Canada) because "being French, working as a translator, being a former French teacher and having French degree doesn't prove that I can speak French". Re-arg.

Hang in there! :-)

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...