Monday, 1 March 2010

how to remind a daffodil that it's a vase for one

Happy Saint David's Day! Yea right, I'm probably talking to myself. Apparently it's Immigration Day in France today, so, apt that it also happens to be Wales' National Day where we remind ourselves of our roots and traditions. Today I am missing Daffodils, Welsh Cakes, Barabrith and Male Voice Choirs just a little bit more than usual. I would kill for a Welsh Cake.... So Welsh, that our neighbours, the English do not know what they are.

Picture taken from this food blog

Anyway, changing the topic ever so slightly, but bare with me, there's an election this year in the UK and it'll be my first in France so I've been swotting up on how I'm going to vote from frogland. In theory, it's totally do-able but the form I have in front of me just gave me a little smack in the face.

You see, you have to get another British person living overseas to sign my form. Here's the sticking point. I know none. I do not live in Little Britain, such is Provence or the Loire Valley. I live smack in the middle of two expat city havens - Lille and Paris and all the expats I know here (and I'm not even onto a second hand here when I count) are everything but British. Everyone I know from the blogsphere seem to be American or Canadian with the exception of one (Princesse Ecossaise, who I have never met)

What are the solutions? I send the form to my friend who lives in Brussels?! I've just used this 'get out of jail free' card for my passport application and it was enough of a kick in the preverbial couilles. Thanks for reminding me of the lack of fellow country(wo)men in these parts.

What to do? What to do?

On a day where immigrants are showing themselves in France, Wales is celebrating it's national day where daffodils will be aplenty but this little daffodil is wilting from solitude.

7 comments:

Andromeda said...

What a strange rule. Is it to verify that you are actually overseas? There's a Northern Ireland assistant in Chauny I met when visiting Shannon, which is closer than Brussels! Check the assistant forums, maybe there's a few others in the region!

And I would gladly exchange your weird rule for the one where US citizens have to file taxes every year no matter how long they've lived abroad. I read that in the UK, after six months or so abroad you don't have to file?

shannon said...

I'm FB friends with a Heather Mabon who's an assistant in Amiens this year and is British. I think she's one of the few on FB, so try searching for her. Plus, I'll show up as a mutual friend. If not, yes, there is Roxy in my town, but I'm not sure if we'll be making any trips to Amiens anytime soon...

Rach said...

Oh just send it over for God's sake

Zhu said...

As for being isolated from other expat, I feel the same in Ottawa. All the French are in Montréal!

I use to vote in France from canada but I stopped a few years ago. I really don't live there anymore so what's the point?

Emma said...

Emma, I'm British!

What kind of form is it? Vote by post or by proxy? I have a by proxy one but I haven't really looked at it yet so I don't know if I need to get it signed by a Brit over here. Seems a bit of a weird rule.

Emma.

Anni said...

The small Lüchlein really look good enough to eat. Really. Could you tell me! The recipe? Because I would like to nachbacken this recipe. I nibble and I'm also quite happy to try out the chamber. I would, therefore, views of what you are looking to.
Zar me it is somewhat puzzling why one even is such a strict rule at a Überfühung in another country. Abe, well, who knows what the authorities have auszusetzten off. I'll surprise me. Lots greetings Anni

Emmy said...

Recipe for Welsh Cakes can be found at http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/welsh-cakes.html thanks to the British queen of the kitchen Delia Smith.

As for the voting form, I got my mum to sign it despite her not being abroad. Someone at the election office said it was ok. Fingers crossed i get the form then! Voting by proxy as will be on holidays far far away just before the election.

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...