Sunday, 10 April 2011

time for a change

They say a change is as good as a rest, and as I need the latter badly, I thought I'd give a change a shot!

Remember last year, we were meant to go to Mexico to spend a week with our friend and a week on the beach, but the volcano in Iceland ruined our plans like it did for so many other people? Well, we booked to give Mexico another go this year! I'll be spending my birthday on a beach with a cocktail in hand!! yippee! Unfortunately, we're only going for a week this time because we figured the house we're buying needs attending to (more on that another time), so although we're off work for two weeks, we'll go away for only one of them! I'm very excited! Last year I felt like I didn't deserve to spend 2 weeks in a far off land as I wasn't working (i guess I got my comeuppance!) but this year, hell, i deserve it! I've now been working at my job for nearly a year (as a side note, if I had gone to Mexico last year, I may not have been given the chance where I work now) and I really need a rest and some time with my Frenchie.

As a result of upcoming holiday, I've gone into 'oh my god, I'll be wearing a bikini in 2 weeks' mode, and have decided to tweak things in the kitchen and tweak my muscles also. I bought 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels who in the trainer from the Biggest Loser. I browsed the internet for ages looking at all the reviews and success stories and thought I'd give it a try! All the reviews say that you're in pain every day, but you learn to love the burn. Day 1 was yesterday, and although I didn't find it that difficult, only breaking a sweat at the end of the 20 minute workout, boy, today do I feel the burn!!! I really want to stick to it, so after this post has been written, I'm changing into my trainers to do Day 2. Something tells me it won't be as easy as yesterday!!

The other thing that I'm working on, is cooking healthy meals. I am not ashamed to say that I have never liked cooking and will gladly, and regularly do, leave it to my other half to do. Usually we just look what is in the fridge/freezer and then make a quick meal around this. It's very uninspiring and I always feel crappie about the situation. So, today, for the first time, we went to the supermarket with a detailed meal list for the week with corresponding ingredients to buy. Ju was totally miffed because usually I hate shopping, which means that he has full reign on what we get - meaning that we come home with random things that don't go together but are totally yummy of course. I plan to stick to the week's menu (I took ideas from low fat recipes) and see if I am more motivated to cook, if we enjoy our meals more and importantly, if we waste less food. This has been a big problem - we, like many others I imagine, end up throwing lots of things from the fridge away because we didn't get round to eating them before the expiry date, or often, we just totally forgot that we had the items there in the first place.

We'll see if I can keep the motivation up during the working week - I'll be coming home, doing exercise (eek, every day) and then cooking, every night. If that's not change enough, I don't know what is!! Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Ksam said...

Ha, I bought that same DVD at Christmas, with the plan to use it while traveling. The first day, I thought the first one was easy, so I did both the beginner and the intermediate ones. Boy, did I pay for it the next day!!!

I tried it a few more times, but never ended up being a fan of it, so I did some more research online and bought the Cardio Max one from the same series. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though!

Andromeda said...

Wasting food is a problem we have too. It's hard for us since I never know when Ben will be home from work, so I plan these nice meals that never get made! He's off work this week though, so hopefully that will change (at least temporarily!)

Good luck on your workout goals! Keep us posted on the progress, I am in the market for a new workout dvd. I have Windsor Pilates from years ago that I can recite by heart, so it's definitely time for a change!

Crystal said...

yay for Mexico! I'm so glad you decided to go plan a trip back there. Enjoy your birthday with that cocktail :)

And meal planning is the best thing you can do. It makes life so much easier and I think you'll find that you enjoy cooking more when you have something planned out and it's not just a last minute scramble to get something on the table.

Mil said...

I waste food a bit too much, too. I'm trying to be better at it. Cooking is definitely something you must learn to love. If you love eating, you'll probably learn to cook what you love. So glad you're trying for Mexico again!

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...