Thursday, 30 June 2011

Jolly Good English

In reply to amber's great post about what not to say in English during an interview to a business school, I thought I'd give you my recent experience.

I recently met a french guy at work and when he realised I was British, he started speaking in English. As I usually do in these situations, I continued to speak French, only to realise that his will was much stronger than mine. I gave in and started replying in English. I had asked for some assistance on something, and he came to my office eager to help. Great I thought. He tells me that his girlfriend is british too ah ha ah ha etc etc. I soon realise that this guy is NOT a normal french guy oo speak Ingleesh like ziss.....no, it appears that this dude had taken the ultimate step. He'd swallowed a dictionary circa 1950. He uses 'jolly good' when I ask him to do xyz..... when he agrees with me he says 'quite'. A 'tally-ho'- wasn't too far out of reach. I could not believe him! I thought he was taking the pee pee, but no, he was deadly serious. My (french) colleague saw this guy today and marvelled at his 'wonderful' British accent. Yeah, right. He's never even been to the UK - so where do you think he got his accent?! Another colleague has met his girlfriend and tells me that her British accent is well, normal. My best guess is that he uses Monty Python and Faulty Towers as his only base to learn English.

The next time I bump into him I'm going to see if he can string a 'moreover, indeed, jolly good' together. Dear lord, his girlfriend better sort him out because I've heard he's going to the UK for the first time in a few weeks. I don't fancy his chances in a pub brawl, unless John Cleese is there.

6 comments:

MilkJam said...

last year at work a customer on the phone pulled a "jolly good" and "tally ho" in the same sentence all the while finishing with a cheerio! LOOOOOOL once I hung up I just couldn't get over myself and I think my colleagues thought I was crazy...

Amber said...

Yes indeed, jolly good post, Emma! I was simply overjoyed to see that you've rejoined us in the land of the blogging. Maybe you should start making up fake sayings and see if you can't get him to use them.. that would be pretty funny..

Crystal said...

omg is this a blog update?? I can hardly believe it!

lol glad to see you back on here and with such a funny post too! Can't wait to see pics of the house!

Andromeda said...

Haha, poor guy, he sounds so pleased with himself for being so "British". Ben's reading Lord of the Rings, so he's been using some weird words lately ("Hello my merry fellow"). His colleagues are Swedish, German and French so he gets a strange mix of English at work. I try and counterbalance with a lot of "Friends" but then he'll say hello to me all week with "How YOU doin'?" lol.

Mil said...

He gets an A for effort on wanting to really use the language though. It's kind of flattering!

skinny latte said...

What a jolly good post! :)

I'm sure he doesn't have an awful plummy Chelsea accent though, like some Australian people I know have picked up over here. It's so fake and does my head in!!

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...