Friday, 17 May 2013

My first Runiversary

My first Running anniversary was 17th April.  I've had this post milling around for ages but only just got round to finishing it.

I can hardly believe that I'm writing this: Running has changed a lot of things in my life.  Not just on one level, it's got into every nock and cranny of my life.  It's not necessary running itself  but it has been a catalyst for other things.  I'm in a much better place, mentally than I was before the 17th April 2012.

I have learnt so many things this last year.  On a technical level I can tell you that I over pronate, that I need to tape my dodgy foot to minimise damage caused by friction.  I've had black toenails, blisters,, almost wrecked my ipod touch when running in the pouring rain. I can tell you that my pace hasn't improved much, that I'm still not sure I like farleks, and that I am still unsure what my pace for a threshold run should be considering I run so slowly anyway.  I've learnt that I can run with the beautiful people (and occasionally overtake them. Ok it happened twice). I've also learnt that my arch nemesis is the killer stitch.  I fight this bad boy every-single-time-I-go-for-a-run.  Every dam time. I have to fight every breath to keep it under control.   He obviously went on holiday for about a month in March because he didn't bother me that much.  I thought I'd got over him, but he's back with a vengeance.  I will beat him (yes, it's a HE)  I've learnt that too.  I knew it already, but I can now be sure: I'm stubborn as hell.

I've come along way.  I started out doing 30 secs jogs between 2 mins of walking.  I finished the c25k programme and entered a 5k race in France.  I've joined Parkrun which I whole heartily recommend anyone to do.  It's just a big family who organise super friendly timed 5k races every Saturday in the UK (and beyond). Ju's incredibly impressed with it too.  I so badly want it to start in France....

Last weekend I did my first 10k race in London.  I finished in 1h05 06secs and I was thrilled! Training was going badly because of the Killer Stitch, but on the day I only stopped once for about a 10 sec walking break and Mr K.S was controlled or there abouts.

Yes, comical bib number! Must remember to get better  finishing  photos in the future!


I didn't need to lose weight particularly  but I've lost 9 kgs since I started to run.  All those times I would have liked to have lost a few pounds, I thought it was impossible.  Well, you need to move your butt for it to work so it seems.  My weight loss has divided people - my mum thinks I look great, super healthy.  My MIL preferred me avant.  Told me to do less exercise she said.  ha!  I'm still not used to my new slimmer figure. Most of my clothes are too big for me and I look ill in them because they hang off me, but I don't want to buy a lot of new stuff 'cos I'm convinced this new figure won't last long.  I'd been the same size all my adult life.  It's hard to see myself as anything but that size. I guess I'd feel better about my figure if i did indeed clothe it better!! Anywayyy...

It's a bit corny, but true.  Running makes you believe anything is possible if you work hard enough. I didn't even think a 10k was in my grasp a year ago and now I'm not ready to stop there.  I'm thinking of signing up to a Half Marathon in the autumn.  I've been practically injury free so far and until my body gives out, I'll keep running.  I'm surprised that with all my problems with my dodgy left side, i'm still ok, but I can't complain!!  

I'll just keep taking it one lop sided step at a time.


3 comments:

Crystal said...

The first thing I noticed in your photo was how thin you looked! I thought you were perfectly fine before, but you look beautiful now, too.

You've accomplished so much this past year (and much more to come!), and I'm so proud of you.

Keep runnin', girl!

Bisous xx

Emmy said...

Oh C, that may have made my eyes leak a little. thanks.

I find it incredible how we are capable of surprising ourselves by our inner strength. I know you know what I mean.

Nice to have you back in frogland, look forward to reading about your trip!

big love x x

Mil said...

You look healthy, not overly thin. You were fine before too, it's true! Just an effect of the running, but it's good for your body and your mind, and that's the most important thing.

Share me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...